Saturday, November 10, 2018

Review- October Funko/Amazon Star Wars Smuggler’s Bounty


Recently, Funko made the decision to end their subscription boxes and offer them through various retailers. Hot Topic is the destination for fans of the Disney Treasures box. Marvel Collector Corps and Star Wars Smuggler’s Bounty subscribers have to head over to Amazon to get their fix. And as far as DC’s Legion of Collectors, we still don’t know which retailer that box is going to be offered up at.

The Smuggler’s Bounty Boxes have been largely hit or miss for me, so I canceled my subscription long before it went to Amazon. But when Funko started advertising the Cloud City box my interest was piqued. Then, when they sent out an email with a spoiler pic of Harrison Ford in carbonite I HAD to order it. I was hoping we’d get a movie moment with Chewie, Leia, and Han in carbonite. What we got was equally as cool.

I had a couple of issues with this month’s box. To start, the boxes have been a bit disappointing since they hit Amazon. I ordered the first two MCC boxes and they seemed...chintzier. The shipping boxes weren’t as nice as the older ones and the items inside seemed less thoughtful than they used to be. The item selection just feels...lazy. Not only that, but the POP! in this box fit so tightly in the box that I had to literally tear it apart to get it out. We got three items; a POP! Movie Moment, a keychain, and a Mystery Mini figure. I’m definitely missing the patch and pin and wearable that used to come in the box.

The first item in the box was an Billy Dee Williams Lando Calrissian key chain. I love the character of Lando, but the keychain wasn’t very exciting. Second was the Mystery Mini figure, which is Chewbacca carrying C-3P0. I have to admit, this one is pretty cool even though I’d have preferred a patch and pin.

The last item in the box was the ‘Boba gets his Bounty’ Movie Moment. I’m a huge Boba Fett fan, so this one was awesome. I wasn’t initially a fan of the Movie Moment line, but since I got a couple as gifts, they’ve grown on me. It’s awesome finally getting a Han in carbonite POP! I’ve been waiting for this one for a long time. This is, unfortunately, the only item that made this box worth getting. I am definitely going to be suspending my Smuggler’s Bounty subscription and renewing on a theme by theme basis.

The POP! Movie Moment is what made the box for me. Unfortunately, the box overall was a bit disappointing. It feels like Funko has gotten a little lazy in putting them together. I ended up cancelling my subscription until I learn the next boxes' theme and decide whether or not to re-up. 


Inside this month's box:

-POP! Movie Moment: 'Boba Gets His Bounty'
-Lando Keychain
-Chewbacca/C-3P0 Mystery Mini








No comments:

Post a Comment