Sunday, April 12, 2020

Unboxing January’s Loot Crate- Icons


Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in! With the quality of their crates declining and all of the business issues Loot Crate has been having the last couple of years, I canceled my regular subscription long ago. Since being taken over by NECA, Loot Crate has attempted to catch up on crates owed to subscribers. Unfortunately, many customers are getting junk boxes comprised of old LC items from previous crates and Loot Wearables they didn’t order (sometimes in the wrong size). So I told myself, until they’ve righted the ship, I was gonna hold off. That is until the 50% off code came in the email.

The crate came a couple of months late, but it arrived nonetheless. Even though I ended up not being a huge fan of all of the contents, I have to admit that it was a quality crate. It reminded me how good Loot Crate used to be. The theme was “Icons” and boasted a pretty solid lineup of Batman, Doctor Who, and PAC-MAN. The box was long and had some weight to it, so I was eager to open it up as soon as I got it from the mail box.



First up was a replica of the Batmobile from Batman Begins. My initial thought was, “Cool! Batmobile!” But when I pulled it out of the crate and got a closer look, I realized it was the Nolan Batmobile and was disappointed. I was never a fan of that version, but the replica comes in a nice case depicting the Batmobile on a rooftop. This was one of several Batman vehicles randomly inserted into the crate.

Next up was a nice, high quality Batman notebook. This is one of the types you can find on the Sideshow website or at most retailers that sell this type of thing. They usually fall in the $10-12 range. This one was, like the Batmobile, one of several available themes.



The third item in the box was a Loot Crate exclusive edition comic of the Thirteenth Doctor. It features a cover with the new Doctor, as well as Matt Smith and David Tennant's Doctors. As a big Who fan, this was a welcome surprise.

This crate’s pin, an “eye-con” pin was a bit of a let-down. It would’ve been nice to have something representing a character. For me, Loot Crate’s pins have always been hit or miss. When they’re original designs, for the most part, I usually give them away. This one will definitely be finding a new home.

Last but not least was a PAC-MAN T-shirt. Now this is what I’m here for! This is a nice, high quality tee that I would probably buy at my local GameStop. I love the design and the color choice. For the price of the crate, this was worth it to me. It’s not enough to sway me to continue my subscription, but I’m definitely going to keep my eye on how they’re improving their business. If they can get back on track, I’ll be happy to become a monthly subscriber again.



Inside January’s “Icon” crate:

-Batman Begins Batmobile
-Batman Notebook
-Icons Themed Pin
-Loot Crate Exclusive Doctor Who Comic
-PAC-MAN T-Shirt











No comments:

Post a Comment