Saturday, May 29, 2010

Daytripper


Have you been reading Vertigo’s “Daytripper,” by Eisner Award winners Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá? If not, go to your nearest comic shop right now and pick up the first six issues of this 10-issue limited series. I picked up the first issue at WonderCon and the day after I read it I went out in search of the next issue. I wasn’t familiar with the creators and it’s not generally something I would have gravitated to when in a comic shop so I’m glad that I was able to discover it at all. The story follows a man (Brás de Oliva Domingos) throughout the significant moments of his life. What I’m finding really interesting is that each issue ends with Brás’ death and obituary. No attempt has been given to explain why it happens. After six issues I’m still not sure if the book is going to give us an answer to the how or why, but that’s half of the intrigue (especially since I no longer have “Lost” to look forward to anymore). What I find even more intriguing is the fact that even though he does die at the end of every issue, it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the next one. I can just sit back and let myself get sucked right back into the characters life. Each issue builds on the previous one and you get a better understanding of the character. The art in the book is gorgeous and the writing is equally so. If you can’t find the back issues, the collected version is already available for pre-order at Amazon.com You’ll have to wait a while though, as the scheduled release date is Feb. 8, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment