Friday, April 10, 2015

Topps Star Wars Card Trader App in App Stores Now


When I was younger, I loved to collect cards. Baseball, football, comic cards; I had binders and boxes full of them. I had, literally, thousands of cards in my collection. I would buy them everywhere I went, from 7-11 to comic/card shops, flea markets, and garage sales. So many that it scares me to think about how much money was spent on them only to lose them all to a house fire.

I loved putting them in order in binders and trading my duplicates with friends and people I met in card shops to complete my collection. When I came across the Topps Star Wars card trader, I initially didn't download it. Why? Because I thought to myself, "What's the point. You can't even hold them or put them into binders."

A lot of people were tweeting about it recently, so I ended up downloading it just to see what the fuss was all about. I found myself enjoying it despite the fact that you don't really own anything physical. There are several different types of cards (white, red, yellow, blue, and Legends to name a few) you can acquire in your digital packs. There are also rare chase cards and awards you can unlock while collecting cards.


The Force Awakens Card

Each day I've opened the app, I have been given free credits with which to purchase packs. Once you've spent all of your free credits, you can purchase them with cash if you want to obtain more packs. Prices range from $0.99 for 3,000 credits (which will get you a 9-card pack) to $99.99 for 900,000 credits. You can also earn credits by watching videos of games you can purchase in the App Store.

If you want to trade cards, you can do that with other users. You set up a trade by choosing which cards you want and which cards you'd like to trade. Once you send them the offer they can accept or refuse. If they refuse, you can make a counter offer. When your trade goes through you can then rate that person.

Overall, it's nowhere near as enjoyable as owning physical cards and being able to sort them into binders. While trading to acquire needed cards can be a little addictive, I miss the days of actually interacting with people to trade your dupes in order to finish sets. With everything going digital we are, unfortunately, interacting with people less and less. It's a fun app, but it makes one nostalgic for the days when you could buy an actual pack of cards and not picture on a screen. Though as long as I can get my credits and keep it free, I'll keep collecting.

Red Cards

Blue Cards

Yellow Cards

Legends Cards

White Cards





No comments:

Post a Comment