Wednesday, April 7, 2010


For the past twelve years I’ve been getting my geek on in the theatre world. Before that, though, I was all about the comics and sci-fi. I was the guy wearing the Star Wars shirt and writing reports on Spider-Man in high school. I was lucky enough to attend WonderCon in San Francisco this year (my first con in about 14 years!) and it was everything I expected and more. They’re definitely bigger than I remember them.

For the event I decided to have my friends at The T-Shirt Mafia print up some shirts for me. Along with this blog, I had them add some sites that I follow that have helped bring me back to the fold as a thank you (they're all a great group of geeks!). I’ve got a decade’s worth of comics to catch up on and these guys have definitely helped with that. They also keep me in the loop with what’s currently going on. Check their sites regularly and follow them on twitter for all kinds of geeky news and reviews!

Hour 42- A weekly show “covering heroes - on the air, in the air and all around us.” Hosted by Peter Pixie and El Secreto

Has Boobs, Reads Comics- A blog run by Jill “The Nerdy Bird” Pantozzi. You can also read her work over at Heartless Doll, MTV Splash Page and Girls Entertainment Network.

Action Flick Chick- Join G4TV's Next Woman of the Web, Action Flick Chick Katrina Hill, as she builds her library of reviews and interviews.

Geek with Curves- A great blog by Amy Ratcliffe (“a girl with a love for Lord of the Rings, graphic novels, Dungeons & Dragons, all things Whedon, Star Trek: TNG, the magical interwebz, Star Wars, costumes, webcomics, renfaires, and most things science fiction and fantasy.”) You can also check out her work at pinkraygun.com




The con took place Friday through Sunday (April 2-4). There were never-before-seen screenings of Fringe, Human Target, and V. There was anime playing all day, every day. There were cosplayers, celebrity signings and of course, comics. Basically, geek heaven. Dark Horse, Geoff Johns, Kick Ass, Chuck and A Nightmare on Elm Street were just some of the many panels throughout the weekend. The two panels that I was most excited about happened back-to-back, Dark Horse and Geoff Johns.

Highlights from the Dark Horse panel:

-There will be several new Star Wars series’ come 2011!

-Dollhouse comics? No plans but, “whenever Joss wants to…”

-There will definitely be more Firefly!

-Robert Rodriguez has been working very closely with Dark Horse on an adaptation of the upcoming Predators movie. Not only that, but he’s also working with them on a prequel and sequel.


BEWARE THE POSSIBLE SPOILER!



-Joss will be writing the final arc of season 8 of Buffy. Now that it’s been revealed that Angel is Twilight, we’ll learn why. Plus, for those of us who are fans of Buffy/Angel, there is going to be a payoff in a “big” way ("sorry Buffy/Spike fans").



Highlights from the Geoff Johns panel:

-We will get a Larfleeze Christmas special later this year!

-We’ll be seeing “a lot more” of the Indigo Tribe in the pages of Green Lantern.

-When asked if DC will follow in the footsteps of Marvel and connect future films for a Justice League film, we got a “we’ll talk in San Diego.”

-The Flash movie is “in development.” And, oh yeah, “The Flash is in it.”

The biggest event for me was the Kevin Smith Q&A on Friday night. The man isn’t just a filmmaker; he’s an all-around entertainer. His ability to be so candid about his life instantly humanizes him and makes him relatable. I have literally never laughed so hard in my life. For a solid two hours. Smith will be recording a live Smodcast in May in San Francisco which, hopefully, I’ll be attending.

WonderCon also saw the U.S. premiere of the first episode of “Doctor Who.” Coming out of the Tennant years I was a little unsure that Matt Smith would be able to carry the role. It took about ten minutes but I’m totally sold. I’m not going to give anything away for those who haven’t seen it yet (I’m sure most of you have) but fear not; Moffat, Smith and Karen Gillan are going to take us on quite a ride! This season we're going to get Daleks, Weeping Angels and a Richard Curtis penned episode (You so don't know how exciting this is for me. I got all tween giddy over that news. I LOVES me some Ricard Curtis). The U.S. premiere of Doctor Who airs April 17th on BBC America.

No comments:

Post a Comment