Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"ThunderCats, Ho!"

Unfortunately, I missed ThunderCats panel at WonderCon. I say unfortunately because I'm looking forward to this series like nobody's business. I grew up in the 80's and ThunderCats was just one of the many classic cartoons that kept me enthralled as a kid. The 80's were the Golden Age of cartoons- G.I. Joe, Transformers, SilverHawks, M.A.S.K., Masters of the Universe, Ninja Turtles, the list goes on. I admit, having gone back and re-watched some of these cartoons, they were nothing more than 30 minute toy commercials (some of them really bad 30 minute toy commercials). Despite that fact, I still love them.

What makes me excited for this new ThunderCats series is that over the last few years, we've seen successful relaunches of classic cartoons like Masters of the Universe that have been really well done. It's obvious that the people behind these relaunches were fans and have a love for the franchise they're working on (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay). After seeing the new trailer from WonderCon I can say that the team behind this new series definitely has me confident in what we've seen so far. Everything from the anime influenced designs to the involvement of Larry Kenney (the original voice of Lion-O), this seems to be hitting all the right notes. ThunderCats premieres later this year on the Cartoon Network.  


Based upon the iconic 1980s action classic, ThunderCats tells the epic tale of Lion-O and his battle against evil in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power. The series is executive produced by Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold).

No comments:

Post a Comment