Sunday, September 20, 2015

It's Batman v Taylor Swift in "Bat Blood" Video


YouTube's 'How It Should Have Ended' recently dropped a parody of Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" video. Initially, I thought that it was a pretty clever parody (even if Batman's voice grates on me), like all their other videos. Upon second and third viewing, I started to think, "Man, they totally missed the mark." I kept thinking back to Swift's acceptance speech for MTV's 'Video of the Year' at the recent VMA's. Swift said, “There’s been a lot of discussion about this video and what it means, but I’m just happy that in 2015, we live in a world where boys can play princesses and girls can play soldiers." Yes, I understand that they were capitalizing on the upcoming Batman v Superman film and I admit that it was a funny video.



Unfortunately, there were only a handful of female heroes making an appearance in the video. Those that were featured were Trinity, Katniss, Wonder Woman, Ripley, Cherry Darling, Imperator Furiosa, The Bride, Dorothy, and Harley Quinn. While that may sound like a lot of female heroes, it's nothing compared to how many males were featured. Not to mention the fact that most of those female characters only made brief appearances. Some of the obvious omissions in the video were Black Widow, She-Ra, the Pink and Yellow Rangers, Captain Marvel, and Batgirl, just to name a few. Now, whenever I watch the video, I can't help but think of the missed opportunity here. Heck, they should have at least featured Taylor's character (Catastrophe) somewhere in the video.



No comments:

Post a Comment