Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Unboxing November's Geek Fuel


A friend that knows that I love geeky subscription boxes text me asking if I'd heard of Geek Fuel. I hadn't, so of course I hopped onto my computer and looked it up. Geek Fuel is a "Monthly mystery box of geeky goodness." For $23.90 per month you get an exclusive T-Shirt, a full video game (playable on STEAM), toys, collectibles, and more. I signed up during their Black Friday promotion, so my box also included $30 worth of bonus Star Wars items.

The bright red box arrived in the mail and I immediately took it inside and dug right in. On the top of the box was a black plastic bag with a sticker on it that read, "Bonus." Inside where the Star Wars items promised in their Black Friday promotion. The bonus items were a Dynamic Forces variant cover of Star Wars #1, a Boba Fett sticker, and a pillowcase featuring Admiral Ackbar with his infamous "It's a trap" line from Return of the Jedi. Not bad, but I'm not sure if I'll actually use any of these items, so they'll probably be given away for Christmas.



Unlike other subscription boxes, there doesn't seem to be a theme from month to month. If there is, I can't make the connection, and they don't have it posted on their website or Facebook page. That's not a bad thing at all, I'm just used to seeing one in other boxes. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I'm just here to get my hands on some cool geeky stuff.

The exclusive T-Shirt in month's box, "Assemble the Resistance," was a Star Wars: The Force Awakens tee depicting a "Resistance Fighter" model building kit. Also exclusive to the box were the monthly Geek Fuel magazine and a mini book that contained an excerpt of Russ Pitts' "How Video Games are Made." Included was a download code for a full copy Defense Grid 2, the game featured in the book.

Rounding out the box were a deck of 30th anniversary Ghostbusters playing cards, Pac-Man salt and pepper shakers, a "War Never Changes" propaganda poster, Hunger Games sticker, and Fallout Vault-Tec security key card. The key card was used to see if your number unlocked the Fallout vault. The winner received an Xbox One/Fallout 4 bundle. To be honest, I wasn't wowed by this box, but I'm going to try out next December's box before making a decision on whether or not to keep my subscription active.



Inside this month's box:

- Exclusive "Assemble the Resistance" T-Shirt
- Geek Fuel Magazine
- "How Video Games are Made" Excerpt and Defense Grid 2 Download
- Deck of Ghostbusters Playing Cards
- Pac-Man Salt and Pepper Shakers
- "War Never Changes" Propaganda Poster
- Hunger Games Sticker
- Fallout Vault-Tec Security Card

















No comments:

Post a Comment