Saturday, January 2, 2010

Out with the old, in with the new


I just finished watching “The End of Time (Part two)” and my initial reaction is, “damn you RTD and David Tennant for making me sob like a little girl!” RTD loves to make his finales BIG and this one had everything (including the kitchen sink). He is very successful at moments and we get a lot of them. I’m not going to spoil anything here but I will say that the cameos are wonderful.

Unlike many people, my introduction to the Who-niverse came late. I was shopping for video games one day and came across the first season boxed set in the used DVD section for only $9.99 I didn’t know anything about Who other than the fact that it was a show that’s been going on for decades. I figured heck, for $9.99 you can’t go wrong and picked it up. Since then I’ve gone back and caught a couple of the older stories (The Five Doctors, some Tom Baker). From what I’ve seen, Eccleston’s portrayal of The Doctor is my favorite. It’s that anger that Eccleston’s Doctor keeps contained just below the surface that draws me in. That and his smile, there’s just this pure joy behind it that not all actor’s can pull off. It was a disappointment when I got to the end of the season and saw he was being replaced.

That being said, I really enjoyed Tennant’s portrayal. It took me a while to warm to him, though. What initially bugged me was that he thought himself too clever. When I finally came around to him I appreciated his take. He brought an infectious energy to The Doctor, making the character his own and giving us some great episodes. Hopefully things work out and we get a Doctor Who movie at some point. In honor of his turn as The Doctor, my ten favorite Tennant era stories (in no particular order):

1. The Next Doctor
2. The Wedding of Sarah Jane
3. The End of Time Parts 1 and 2
4. Turn Left
5. The Stolen Earth
6. Journey’s End
7. Blink
8. The Waters of Mars
9. The Girl in the Fireplace
10. School Reunion

Thanks for a great run.

No comments:

Post a Comment